Tiny Floors – Installing Vinyl Plank Flooring

July 31, 2017

You guys. YOU GUYS. I am soooo behind! This blog is so out of date! Yikes. Yikes. Yikes.

Just assume from now on that I am always about 3 to 4 months behind schedule in updating this thing. Anyone who comes to visit us is always surprised by how far along we are on the house, because of course, the blog is so behind. So….if you want to really see how the house is coming along you should just stop by and say hello! Any excuse for a visit, right? Now, on to updates! This post is about our floors. This was a project I took on by myself, so in all honestly, we’re lucky this even came out right.

I love the dark, rough cut finish we chose for the vinyl floors. The variations look really great.

We decided on vinyl plank flooring because the trailer has few uneven spots. The vinyl planks are flexible and have enough bend in them to cover the slight slope in the floor without making any extra headaches pop up. We found the dark, rough cut stain we liked (on sale!) and got started. I decided to tackle the loft first, sort of as “practice”. Because most of the loft will be covered by our mattress, I knew if I made any mistakes there was a high possibility that they would be covered up.

The first step was deciding that I wanted the planks to run the length of the house to try to trick the eye into think the house is bigger than it is. I made sure to copy this same idea in the loft for consistency. I started in the furthest corner of the loft and worked my way to the edge of the loft, and then repeated until I reached the opposite wall. The vinyl planks have rubber locking edges, so each piece fits together snug and tight. You lay down one piece of flooring that has a little rubber lip running along the edge. Then, the second piece of flooring is pushed up against that edge at an angle until you hear a little click, then lay the floor down flat. You have to follow this process for both the long and short edges of the floor, and simply work your way across the space. I also used a rummer mallet and wood block to tap the edges of the planks to make sure they were especially tight. Because this structure will have extra vibrations from traveling on roads and highways, I want the floors to wiggle as little as possible.

I can’t find the picture I took of the floor edges, so here is one from the inter-webs. The rubber edges of the planks lock together holding everything tight.

One thing I had to be sure of throughout this job was to stagger the end joints of the planks so they wouldn’t line up right next to each other. The short ends of the plank lock together as mentioned above, but there’s only 5 inches of rubber locking them together. To make that small area hold stronger, you need to have the long edges of the surrounding planks holding the floor down tightly, as well. If all the planks ended at the same place, then eventually they would pop up and move around. Plus, it looks better to have everything staggered.

In order to get the planks to end at different spaces, I had to cut the starting plank of each row to different lengths. This starting plank sets up how the entire row will be staggered. In order to cut them, you simply score the plank with a razor and snap the plank in two. It’s pretty crucial to score and snap in a clean, square line. I used to a square on the planks I was cutting to be sure my scores were straight.

The finished loft floor!

Looks great! Any of my mess ups will be covered by the mattress anyway! Whew!

After I got the hang of things in the loft, I moved down to the main floor. This was quite a bit more difficult due to the walls, cabinets, and tight spaces to maneuver around. Plus, I wanted to be sure that my rows of planks remained as straight as possible. However, once you get into a groove, laying down the floor went fairly quickly. I finished the main floor in a day, with only a few finishing pieces that needed to be cut to fit certain small places to finish the next day. Once I measured and cut the planks to fit those few little weird spaces, the floor was finished and looked great!

I used the wood block against the plank edge, and then hammered it with the rubber mallet to really push it into place.

Gotta keep my rows straight!

Not bad. I felt like this was a big puzzle in some ways, so I actually enjoyed this project.

I worked my way from the living room corner, around the cabinets, down the “hall”, all the way to the back of the house.

I worked my way to the back of the house, and tried to make sure the longest rows stayed super straight.

To the bathroom and shower.

Into the closet…this definitely had some more complicated piecing together because of the closet wall and the wheel well¬†sticking out.

Into the bathroom and shower area. Thankfully this is completely waterproof, so it’s perfect for the shower room.

This cubby space was kind of annoying, I won’t lie.

It was pretty exciting to have the subfloor covered up. The dark stain on the floor looks great next to our light grey walls. I’m pretty happy with the way this project turned out considering we were using one of the cheapest flooring options. Installation was pretty simple…seeing as I could handle this job by myself to give Eric the weekend off.

I love the way the floor turned out!

The floors really helped make this house look better. So exciting!

The grain and variation on the floor is my favorite.

 

Next up will be a post about our shower walls! We ordered custom metal walls for our shower and they look pretty sweet. I’ll try to get us caught up on here so we aren’t so behind. Thanks for reading!

 

1 Comment

  • Reply Katie Payne September 2, 2017 at 4:29 PM

    Guys! I’ve been following your blog with great anticipation for each post. Your house is so amazing and seriously, you’re living my dream right now.
    Please post more!!! I am so anxious to see how everything else has come together.

  • Leave a Reply